- Loosen your clothing and get into a comfortable position. Recline your chair, or lie on your bed or the floor. Close your eyes, and begin breathing deeply using the belly breathing exercise. Feel your breath come in slowly and go out slowly. Let your body begin to relax, notice your muscles begin to unwind and the tension around your eyes and head is released.
- Bring to mind a memory of a peaceful, nourishing, relaxing place you have visited. Try and see it in your mind's eye in full detail. Whatever relaxes you is where you want to be.
- As you relax into this environment, notice how your body feels. Do your feet and legs feel more relaxed? Is your belly soft? Are your arms heavy and free of tension? How does your chest feel? What about your neck and head? Are these soft and relaxed as well? Take some time to scan through your body and notice where you are holding tension. As you encounter tension, gently encourage it to release and open up.
- Take a few moments to tune into your breathing. Is it deep, slow, and powerful? Can you feel your breath fill your whole body? If not, deepen your breath and see if you can allow it to "massage" you from the inside and relax you.
- Stay in this place of deep relaxation as long as you like. When you are ready, slowly wiggle your fingers and toes, open your eyes, stand up, and go about your day. See if you can take the relaxed feeling with you into your day.
Taken from Dr. Mark Hyman's Book The Blood Sugar Solution, Chapter 21, Week 3: Relax your Mind, Heal you Body