Belly Breathing Exercise
- If you can, loosen your clothes and get into a comfortable position. Lie on the floor or recline in your office chair or just sit up straight wherever you are.
- Close your eyes, and get in touch with your breath for a few moments.
- Now place one hand on your belly and on hand on your chest. Notice whether your chest rises or your belly rises when you breathe. To breathe deeply, your belly should rise more than your body to do this. Then put your hands by your side or on your knees.
- Inhale through your nose deeply, into your belly, to the count of 4. Take your time with this.
- Hold the breath for a count of 2.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly and steadily to the count of 6.
- Pause for a count of 1.
- Repeat the cycle for 10 breaths
Taken from Dr. Mark Hyman's book, The Blood Sugar Solution, Chapeter 21 Week 3: Relax your Mind, Heal Your Body